- Many cosmetics and personal care products contain harmful ingredients ranging from plastics, heavy metals, carcinogens, neurotoxins, reproductive toxins, and chemicals linked to cancer.
- Less than 20% of chemicals used in cosmetics and personal care products have been assessed for safety. The rest of the chemicals we don’t know what kind of side effects there are.
- Names on cosmetics like “Herbal”, “Natural” and “Organic” have no legal definition or regulation.
- There are no regulatory agencies like the FDA that assess the safety of personal care products of their ingredients and the US hasn’t passed a law regulating personal care products since 1938. FDA can’t even recall a product that has been found to be harmful.
- The European Union has banned over 1300 chemicals in personal care products deemed hazardous to health. The US has only banned 11 of those chemicals.
Beware of the following:
- Products with “fragrance” often have dozens of unsafe chemicals
- “Foundation” can contain heavy metal chemicals like arsenic and titanium dioxide which can cause cancer when inhaled
- “Eye Shadow” can contain formaldehyde , titanium dioxide, heavy metals and mineral oils made from crude oil
- “Eyeliner” can contain heavy metals like lead and arsenic link to cancer and reproductive harm
- “Blush” can contain parabens that can mess with your hormones, mineral oils, and talc that can have asbestos
- “Mascara”can contain formaldehyde and dyes like carbon black and D&C Black no.2 linked to cancer
- Up to 3/4 of lipstick tested by the FDA contained lead, mineral oils and preservatives like BHA which is linked to cancer and reproductive harm.
Learn More & Follow Campaign
Research your Cosmetic Products at these Sites
Use this Research App to Check Products at the Store